Saturday, November 22, 2008

Craft days or Crap days

WARNING:This rambling, I mean post may offend some. Caution while reading.
Today was our big craft show at a local church. Emily and I had big hopes for this show. We decided it couldn't be any worse than our last one, ahh but indeed it could be worse. The last show we did was an outdoor show and the big seller was the pvc pipe marshmallow shooter.


I mean I can see what the big draw is, being the first to claim you put someones eye out with a marshmallow, cool right? Well this show the big seller was wait for it...... Santa poop. Yes, you did read that right, Santa poop. Of course this booth was right across from us, so you could see all of the buying going on. And the infamous marshmallow shooter was only a few booths down. So this is my problem... to me a craft show should be a craft show! A craft to me is something YOU make. Not something you buy from China for pennies and sell for dollars. Sorry friends, but some of this stuff is just junk! I have to many crafty friends not to appreciate true talent and the art of creating something with your own two hands, not the hands of Feng Shui. I have decided that many of the people who come to "craft shows" don't appreciate someones fine work. As I walked around looking at the booths I felt like shaking the hands of the handful of people who actually made stuff. Like the old guy who made duck calls, the decoupage cross lady, and the lord help me crochet cup holder lady. I didn't say I would necessary buy any of these things, but it was nice to see something handmade.
If nothing else these past few craft shows have been an experience.
*AND NOW A LITTLE SHOUT OUT TO MY CRAFT CLUB:Thanks for being such great and inspiring people. I love our Monday nights together! It is great to have such fun, creative friends to hang out with.

3 comments:

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

I so know what you are talking about.
I have only done 1 craft show. My first and my last! I hope that in spite of the Santa poop, you made out o.k.

kris said...

wow, santa poop?? seriously?? that's awful!! sometimes i fear craftsmanship is a dying art form...