Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Jesus and the Whopper

On our way back to Memphis, Emma and I stopped into a Burger King in Tuscumbia Alabama. It was lunch time and moderately crowded. I ordered and told Emma to pick a seat. There was this group of about five construction guys sitting at a table. I thought I hope Emma doesn't pick the booth next to them, because I don't want alot of whistling and carrying on when I walk by(insert laugh here). So I did my best non sexy walk and sat in the booth next to them. Being totally judgemental, I thought they would probably be talking about football, flatulence, and babes.
But to my surprise they were talking about Jesus. That's right Jesus! Out of the five guys at the table I would say that two of the men were believers, and the other three were seekers. The believers used words like free will, heaven, mercy, and the seekers used words like unsure, and hell. They asked the same questions that many ask, why do bad things happen to good people? Why does God allow children to die, war, sadness, and if I have been a sinner all my life can I really find forgiveness?
I wanted to put down my chicken sandwich and scream yes, you can find forgiveness, grace, mercy, and peace! You just have to ask for it. For almost an hour they battled back and forth. By the end of lunch, the three men still were not convinced about the saving grace of Jesus, but it did give me great peace to know that these men had friends that weren't embarrassed to talk about Jesus in a Burger King.

1 comment: